Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Friends! I have been busy making some easy decor for the new bookcase I built into my hallway upstairs. I am loving how it all turned out and how I haven’t spent any money on any of it! One of my favorite new pieces is this DIY chalkboard sign. It was quick to make and adds some great character to my bookshelf.
These are easy to make on any old pictures you have. I had an old wood picture that had flowers on it and painted it with chalkboard paint a few years ago for a birthday party. I recently found it and decided to re-paint it and add a cute saying to it!
I got this cut file from lovesvg.com. If you’ve never checked out their website, you should! They have a lot of great files for every occasion.
Materials for DIY Chalkboard Sign
- Chalkboard paint – I used this one found here
- vinyl or contact paper – I used contact paper
- transfer tape
- piece of wood or old wood picture
- Chalk markers – found here!
- Cricut Explore or other cutting machine
Here is a video tutorial on everything you need to do! Make sure you paint two coats of chalkboard paint on. Let dry an hour in between!
If you’d rather have written directions on how to make a chalkboard sign, I’ve got you covered!
- Download a file and upload it to Cricut Design Space.
- Cut it out on contact paper or vinyl. I used contact paper from Walmart for this project since it wasn’t a very intricate design. I cut it out using the setting right before Vinyl. Weed the wording out of the design since you will be using it as a stencil.
- For board- cover edges if needed with blue paint. Paint a layer of chalkboard paint on the board. Let dry for one hour and paint a second coat.
- Let cure for 24 hours. Then rub a piece of chalk all over paint to condition it.
- Apply vinyl stencil to board with transfer tape.
- Use liquid chalk markers to paint in wording.
- Remove stencil and you’re done!
I love how it adds a cute farmhouse feel to my new hallway bookcase (click here to see how easy it is to add plywood shiplap to a bookcase!)
If you’d like to learn how to make these DIY wooden signs with sayings check out my tutorial by clicking here!
Want to save this for later?? PIN it now!!
Thank you for stopping by!! Have a great day!