Need some DIY Christmas decor inspiration? Make your own cheap Christmas decorations by following some of these do it yourself Christmas tutorials.
The holiday season is a perfect time to kick up your crafting a notch! There’s no need to spend a bunch of money on Christmas decor when you can make a bunch of inexpensive Christmas decorations.
I absolutely love making all kinds of DIY Christmas decor because it is truly unique and it is honestly so satisfying seeing something you made with your hands up in your house. Your handmade Christmas crafts also make great gifts or perfect items to sell to make a little money over the holiday season.You can also through an amazing holiday craft party with different ornament-making stations. Your friends will make their own gifts!
What is DIY Christmas Decor?
DoityourselfChristmas or Do It Yourself Christmas decor is any type of decoration or craft that you make. It can start with simple supplies you have around the house or that you get from the Dollar Store or craft stores. The decor can be put together with glue, staples, nails, screws, stitches… almost anything you can think of.
If you have a cutting machine like a Cricut, then the possibilities are pretty endless. You can cut custom vinyl or even thin wood to make your own Christmas decorations.
If you don’t, then I have some tutorials for some other ways to make cute but cheap Christmas decorations.
If you are a fan of DIY Christmas ornaments make sure to browse through my roundup of over 150 cheap Christmas ornaments to get you started.
Also, you can check out all of my do it yourself Christmas decor on my Christmas home tours.
Let’s start with easy Christmas crafts that anyone can make. Simply click on the links below to see the tutorials.
Easy Christmas Decorations
These decorations require no cutting machines. They are made with scrap materials or inexpensive materials you can get easily.
- Handmade Ornaments out of scrap wood and appliques
- Felt Poinsettias with a FREE pattern to cut with scissors (and/or to cut with a Cricut)
- How to paint buffalo plaid on a thrift store find
- Flocked mason jar centerpieces DIY – you don’t need to use a Cricut, you can always cut leaves out and leave them blank
- Joy sign staircase decor out of Dollar Tree posterboard and burlap
- DIY tree topper out of Dollar Tree supplies
- Learn how to flock a tree – one of the easiest ways to turn your home into a beautiful winter wonderland!
- Grinch Christmas wreath out of dollar store supplies and making new sew Grinch legs
- DIY snowman with fish bowls and glitter – You could always use a Sharpie to paint on the buttons and face
Wooden Christmas Decorations to Make Yourself
If you have and love tools as I do, then these cheap Christmas decorations are so fun to make.
- DIY stocking holders are an easy way to display stockings with some scrap pieces of wood.
- I love reversible wooden decorations – Two for the price of one and you can leave them up for three months!
- Christmas tree shelf was one of my favorite new Christmas projects last year. The plans by Ana White make it super quick!
- Another reversible budget Christmas decor made out of tree slices. No cutting machine required when you use the pencil transfer method.
Cricut Christmas Ideas
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know I love my Cricut cutting machine. I make so many projects with it and I do sometimes call it my best friend. It makes elegant and gorgeous decor easy to make.
If you have a cutting machine, I do have a roundup of some FREE SVG Christmas files that you can use to make anything with.
- Kids will love making this DIY personalized cookies for Santa plate with a FREE cut file and by using their thumbprints.
- Grinch decorations are always fun to make like this cute glitter Grinch with a FREE Grinch face file.
- Learn how to make glitter ornaments that light up. Including a FREE Joy to the World cut file.
- Making personalized gifts and tags is easy with a cutting machine.
- Grab a FREE bear SVG to make matching Christmas pajamas or mugs.
- You can use a Cricut Maker to make buffalo plaid stockings.
- Make cute mugs with these Free Christmas SVG files.
- One of my favorite DIY Christmas decor I made was this cute Farm Fresh tree sign out of an old frame and chalk paint. Another free file!
- Rae Dunn inspired Christmas pillows with a FREE cut file.
- Some amazing Christmas Cricut project ideas from around the blogosphere.
- Christmas window decorations using snow spray.
- Make a cute Santa mug.
- DIY Grinch wine bottle! Great gift idea too.
- DIY Christmas wood burlap sign using a Cricut or using felt as stamps.
- Nativity light up Christmas decor sign
- Make floating DIY Christmas ornament.
- Adorable DIY light up canvas wall decor
- Countdown DIY Christmas wood sign
- Apply vinyl to a large tile for easy and beautiful Christmas decor.
- DIY glitter ornaments are perfect for any tree and as gifts.
- DIY Christmas vacation ornaments on acrylic blanks are a super and inexpensive gift for family and friends.
As you can see, there are so many ways to decorate for Christmas on a budget when you make your own Christmas decorations. If you want even more inspiration I love browsing countryliving.com and of course Pinterest!