Make your own cute felt DIY gnome ornaments with this free printable gnome pattern and step by step directions!
I have to admit, I love the popularity of gnomes! I think they are so stinkin’ cute and gnomes are so easy to make.
There are so many different tutorials on how to make gnomes out there from using Dollar Tree supplies to using wood.
With just a few craft supplies you might already have at home you can whip up these DIY felt gnomes in no time.
What is a Gnome?
Gnomes became popular as garden ornament. They are bearded little men with pointy hats! In folklore and fairy tales they are known as dwarfish men that guarded treasure’s underground.
Lately, they’ve made a big comeback around Christmas time and as just a way to decorate about anything. They are so versatile! I even used cute little gnomes on my Secret Santa list printables!
DIY Gnome Ornaments Supply List
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links from Shareasale, Awin, and Amazon.com. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links (purple text). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- craft felt
- matching embroidery floss
- poly-fil stuffing
- embroidery needle
- hot glue gun
- free printable gnome pattern- download below
The following instructions for making felt gnome ornaments uses stitching and stuffing. I also made a gnome pattern SVG file if you want to cut the pieces out of vinyl, cardstock, or even want to use your Cricut to cut out the felt.
You can use this free Christmas gnome pattern to make holiday cards, DIY Christmas decor, or pillows. You don’t need to limit yourself to making DIY ornaments! If you own a Cricut cutting machine, you can cut the gnome SVG pattern out from all sorts of different materials.
How to Make Felt Gnome Ornaments
- Download the free Christmas gnome pattern and print on heavy cardstock paper.
- Cut out each gnome piece. Use the cardstock pieces as a template to trace and then cut out the corresponding colors felt pieces (number and color noted on pattern printable).
- Sew the nose, heart and hands onto the beard using a running stitch.
- Attach the gnome beard to one body piece using a running stitch around the outer edge of the beard.
- Place the second body piece behind the first one. Use a blanket stitch to sew them together along the outside leaving a small hole.
- Stuff poly-fill into the opening and then finish stitching the body closed.
- Now onto the gnome hat! Use a blanket stitch to sew the two felt hat pieces together leaving the entire bottom open (this is where the head will go)
- Stuff poly-fil into the opening and then place it on the body making sure to align it just above the nose.
- Finish off the hat by sewing across the bottom edge but now go through all the pieces to attach the hat to the gnome body. Finish off.
- You can leave the cute felt gnome like this or turn it into a DIY gnome ornament by adding ribbon to it. Use a hot glue gun to place a loop of ribbon on the back of felt gnome's hat near the top. (or sew it on!)
- That's it! Put the cute DIY felt gnome ornament on your tree, use as a gift tag, or give it as a gift or party favor.
See post for the free printable gnome pattern.
If you find the little pieces moving around, you can always tack them down with a dab of glue.
If you aren't a sewing, fan you can make these no sew felt ornaments by using glue such as unique stitch.
Free Printable Gnome Pattern
As with all my free printables, these are for personal use only! Please no selling or redistributing of PDF files. Thank you!
If you’d like to save this DIY gnome ornaments tutorial for later, simply hover over the top left of the image below and PIN It now!
Thanks for stopping by and have a creative day!