Make a cute lion puppet paper bag with your kids or students with these easy to follow directions and a free template to print and cut out!
Back at you today with some kids crafts! And not just any crafts, we are talking cute hand puppets made out of craft supplies you probably already have in your house or in your classroom.
All you need are some brown paper bags, construction paper, scissors, and some adhesive to make some easy lion paper bag puppets.
If you are a teacher or homeschool Mom, these lion crafts would be a great way to add an art project when studying different animals. Have the students practice their fine motor skills of cutting the lion’s head and the other parts of the lion out and then putting the paper bag lion puppet together with glue sticks.
These fun paper bag puppets would also go great with our zoo animal coloring pages and would also be fun to have at zoo animal themes parties!
- Pick different shades of orange and yellow colored craft paper (cardstock or construction paper).
- Print out the paper bag lion PDF below and cut around the lion shapes. Trace the patterns of the individual pieces on the corresponding colored paper and then cut them out. You will have a lion's mane, lion's head, lion's tail, tail tip, nose, inner ear parts, forehead, front paws, and belly patterns.
- Glue the tail tip cutout on the open end of the tail cutout, attach the nose on the narrow side of the forehead, and glue the inner ear shapes on the ear parts of the head cutout.
- Glue the forehead (with glued on nose) to the middle part of the head pattern (so the tops are even).
- Glue the lion head pattern onto the mane cutout. Use a Sharpie or black marker to draw on the mouth, whiskers, and pair of eyes.
- Cover one side of the paper bag with a yellow piece of construction paper. This will be the front side of the lion puppet.
- Attach the front paw cutouts along the bottom side of the puppet patterns (the open side of the paper bag) and the lion belly to the middle of the paper bag. Also, glue the tail tip to the lion tail!
- Then glue the tail to either side (right or left) of the front of the paper bag.
- The final step in making a paper bag puppet lion is to attach the lion head onto the flatted bottom part of the paper bag.
See below in the post to download the lion template and/or SVG file to cut with a cutting machine.
If you don't want to use paper bags for the lion puppets, you could also just paste the lion's head and mane to a popsicle stick.
FREE Lion Puppet Paper Bag Template
As with all my free printables, these are for personal use only! Please no selling or redistributing of PDF files. Thank you!
Simply click on the download button below to instantly download the PDF file. The print on any printer!
And since you all know I prefer to use my Cricut when making crafts, I wanted to give you the lion SVG also!
If it doesn’t automatically download, you might need to right-click on it and Save As. If you need additional help, make sure to check out my post on how to download and upload files to CDS.
Or check out my Cricut Design Space 101 series for even more tutorials.
If you’d like to save this lion puppet tutorial for later, simply hover over the image below and PIN It now!
Thanks for stopping by and have a creative day!