Make an easy and cute Oh the Places You’ll go craft with a free hot air balloon template PDF and SVG file. Perfect for any Dr. Seuss lover!
I hope you have been enjoying all of the Dr. Seuss crafts I’ve been sharing over the past week. You might notice I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan!
The cute and colorful Dr. Seuss characters and books are so fun to make crafts out of.
Today we are going to be making a craft from one of Dr. Seuss’s most popular books, Oh The Places You’ll Go!
“You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You’ll Go!
There are so many great inspirational sayings in this colorful book that makes it a must read for children.
Reading Dr. Seuss books anytime of the year is great, but one of the best times to make Dr. Seuss crafts is on Dr Seuss’s birthday, March 2nd which happens to correspond with Read Across America Day.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links from Shareasale, Cricut, Awin, and Amazon.com. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my links (purple text). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A lot of schools make a fun week of Read Across America week with guest authors or parents coming in and reading books to the students and having a Dr. Seuss birthday party!
Whether you are reading Dr. Seuss books during any time of the year with students, reading with kids at home, or planning a Seuss themed birthday party or baby shower and need activities or Seuss decorations, this Oh The Places You’ll Go craft would be a perfect activity to go along with the book.
You’ll find the free hot air balloon craft template and SVG file down at the bottom of the post!
- Gather materials including different shades of pastel craft or construction paper. For our hot air balloon, we are using pastel yellow for the body, pastel pink for the stripes, and brown paper for the basket.
- Download and print the hot air balloon template PDF from the bottom of the post and cut out 1 hot air balloon, one set of stripes, and one set of basket and cords. (The free template has two sets if you want to cut out more!)
- Place the cutouts on the colored paper you want to use, and trace around the edges with a pencil. Cut out the pieces. You'll need 3 hot air balloon patterns, 2 sets of stripes, and one set of the basket patterns.
- Fold 2 hot air balloons and the 4 stripe cutouts in half.
- Cut the stripe cutouts in half. Glue one half of the stripe on the top side of the folded ballon patterns. If they don't perfectly align, trim the edges.
- Attach the other half of the stripe cutouts on to the inner side of the folded balloon.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to make the other half folded hot air balloon pattern.
- Now take the plain hot air balloon cutout and glue one of the striped folded balloon pieces on one side of the plain one.
- Glue the other half folded balloon pattern on the other side. Then glue the basket pieces together by gluing the strips on both sides of the basket.
- Glue the basket to the 3d hot air balloon piece.
- Trace and cut out the cloud patterns from white embossed paper. Or from plain white cardstock and run through an embossing machine like a Cuttlebug. Or cut from cotton rounds or use cotton balls, whatever suits your fancy!
- Now you can attach your Dr. Seuss hot air balloon to anything you want, such as cardstock, a paper plate, or even favor bags. We are just going to attach it to a white piece of cardstock. If desired, cut a few pieces of colored paper to make a striped paper mountain and glue them on. Attach the clouds.
- Use craft glue or foam pieces to attach the 3D hot air balloon craft on the paper or card and enjoy your new Oh The Places You'll Go craft!
Find the hot air balloon template at the bottom of the post.
Free Hot Air Balloon Template
As with all my free printables, these are for personal use only! Please no selling or redistributing of PDF files. Thank you!
Once you’ve downloaded the air balloon craft by clicking on the download button, print the PDF out on white copy paper.
For my Cricut users, you can download the free hot air balloon SVG file below. Cut out the pieces with your Cricut and put the Dr. Seuss Oh the Places Youll Go craft together by following the directions above.
Sometimes the file will look blurry when you first open it, but once you download it, the SVG will open up clearly.
If it doesn’t automatically download, you might need to right-click on it and Save As. If you need additional help, make sure to check out my post on how to download and upload files to CDS.
Or check out my Cricut Design Space 101 series for even more tutorials.
If you’d like to save this Oh The Places You’ll Go activity for later, simply hover over the top of the image below and PIN It now!
Thanks for stopping by and have a creative day!