Use a printable template to make this cute Thing 1 and Thing 2 craft for Dr. Seuss’s birthday or as party favor bags for a Seuss themed party!
Are you a Dr. Seuss fan??!! I absolutely adore Dr. Seuss’s books, the optimistic messages in them, and the whimsical characters and colors.
In that post, you will find kids crafts and activities using materials such as a toilet paper roll, a popsicle stick, a paper plate, and a handprint craft making all different Dr. Seuss characters like the Lorax and Cat in the Hat.
But today, I have instructions on making a cute Dr. Seuss Thing 1 and Thing 2 craft. I have included a free printable template and SVG cut file to add to the top of a DIY paper bag but that doesn’t mean you needed to be limited to a treat bag.
Feel free to use the Thing 1 face, hair, and label on different activities such as puppets, decorations on a solo cup or paper roll, as a cupcake topper, as a bookmark, as a puppet craft… the list can go on and on! Think outside the box and create whatever you want.
Let’s get started! Feel free to print out the printable instructions below.
- Colored Craft Paper or Cardstock in red, blue, and white
- Craft glue
- Gather the materials needed including construction paper or cardstock in red, white, and blue.
- Download and print the free Thing 1 and Thing 2 PDF template (found at the bottom of the post). Cut around the edges of the patterns to use as templates.
- To make both Thing 2 and Thing 2 craft bags you'll need to do two of each of the following steps.
- Trace the hair patterns on the blue paper, the head and label cutouts on white paper, and the arm patterns on the red paper with a pencil. Then cut the images out.
- On the round circle cutouts, write Thing 1 and Thing 2 using a Sharpie. Also, draw the Thing face on each of the face cutouts.
- Glue the Thing 1 face onto the blue hair cutout.
- Now, let's make the red favor bag. If you have red paper bags, you can use those instead of making your own. Cut a piece of red paper that is 10 x 6.5 inches.
- Leave 1 cm along the red sheet's longer side, fold the rest of the long side in half. To close both sides of the paper bag, apply glue to the extra 1 cm part and attach it to the other open side.
- Now fold the bottom of the folded paper up two inches.
- While keeping the paper folded, open the 2 inches part.
- Fold and flatten the two sides of the bottom side to form 2 flaps.
- Fold down the top flap and then fold up the bottom flap so they overlap. Glue them together to secure the bottom of the paper bag.
- Where the flaps were created you'll notice a diamond shape on each side. Using the top and bottom corners of the diamonds as a guide, fold both sides of the paper in to make creases.
- Now open the last folds and open the bag.
- Fold in the middle crease of the sides to make the Thing 1 bag a rectangle. Glue on the Thing 1 and Thing 2 circle to the center of each bag.
- Glue the papercraft Thing 1 head close to the top of the round label (the open end of the bag is the top side). Attach the arm cutouts to both sides of the paper bag by folding in about 1 cm and gluing that section to the bag.
- Now you can add any cute little trinket or treat inside the Thing 1 and Thing 2 crafts that you just made!
Thing 1 Thing 2 printable template download button is at the bottom of the post.
Thing 1 and Thing 2 Printable PDF
As with all my free printables, these are for personal use only! Please no selling or redistributing of PDF files or digital downloads. Thank you!
Once you’ve clicked the download button below, print out this Thing 1 and Thing 2 free printable template on white paper.
If you own a Cricut cutting machine and want to cut out the Thing 1 and Thing 2 craft, click below to download a free SVG file to use. The large red rectangle is to make the paper bag with.
You can simply delete the rectangle if you want to put the Thing faces and hair on cups, larger bags for puppets, or on a different Seuss craft.
If you’d like to save this Thing One and Thing 2 crafts for later, simply hover over the image below and PIN It now!
Thanks for stopping by and have a creative day!